Founder and President
Mr. Sawyer is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker with more than 30 years of experience in mental health, criminal justice services, non-profit management, training, consultation and public speaking. He has been actively involved in program development for, and management of, men with sexual behavior problems, public issues, and state- wide initiatives.
Mr. Sawyer earned his MSSW from the University of Wisconsin in 1980. He has been a licensed clinical social worker since 1989 and has practiced in outpatient, hospital inpatient, private and public settings.
For more than 17 years he served as a founding board member and Executive Director of Project Pathfinder, Inc., a private non-profit agency specializing in the treatment of children, adolescents, and adults with sexual behavior problems. He was co-creator of the adult outpatient sex offender treatment program at Project Pathfinder and was program director from 1990 to 1992. He co-led the creation of Stop it Now! Minnesota, a child sexual prevention program and has spoken to local and national public and private groups about sexual offender treatment and sexual abuse prevention.
Mr. Sawyer is a founding Board Member and past chapter President of the Minnesota chapter of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (MNATSA), is a past member of the Scientific Committee of IATSO, and is past chair of the Minnesota Board of Social Work. As a manager and clinician he has created effective programs for men in a variety of settings and conducted studies on program outcome.
Mr. Sawyer has presented numerous lectures and training sessions on outcome research, child sexual abuse prevention, treatment of resistant clients, and group therapy at local, national and international conferences. He has consulted on issues of offender treatment in private and public treatment programs and with private businesses on sexual behavior problems in the workplace. He has served on numerous state level training and program development committees in Minnesota.
Mr. Sawyer has published articles and book chapters on a program for men who use prostitutes, group therapy with sex offenders, sex dysfunction in sex offenders, boundaries and dual relationships, and sex offender treatment program outcome research and group therapy.
Mr. Sawyer can be reached at Steve@sawyersolutions.org
Mr. Sawyer is a specialist in child sexual abuse, sexual violence prevention, and the management and treatment of adult sexual offenders. He has been actively involved in the design of prevention methods, training of adults in adult responsibility, and promotion of a public health approach to prevention. He is a trained and certified group psychotherapist. He has more than 30 years of experience treating individuals and couples. He has a network of allied professionals who provide consultation and a range of professional competencies.
Mr. Sawyer’s Professional Information:
- 17 years as a founding Director and Executive Director of a non-profit agency
- 30 years as a practicing Clinical Social Worker in public, private, and private practice settings
- 8 years as a Board Member of a state behavioral health licensing board
- 10 years as a founding Board Member of a statewide professional association
- Program chair/co-chair of statewide and national professional training conferences
Licenses and Certifications
- State of Minnesota – Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) #305, 1989
- State of Wisconsin – Licensed Clinical Social Worker 2011
- National Association of Social Workers – ACSW 1985
- American Group Psychotherapy Association – Certified Group Psychotherapist, 1995
- National Association of Social Workers, 1985
- Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers – Clinical Member, 1991
- American Group Psychotherapy Association, Clinical Member, 1994
- 1998 “Award for Significant Contribution”, NETWORK (for the supervision and management of sex offenders)
- 1999 “Alumnus of the Year”, Social Work Department, Minnesota State University – Mankato
- 2004 “Professional Service Award”, – MN Chapter, Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers